Welcome to Year 4
NEW Home Learning Resource - "Highly Recommended" - Government funded.
OAK NATIONAL ACADEMY
Here are some Home Learning Packs and useful website links to ensure high quality learning continues should the school close.
Year 4 Learning Projects
Pack 1 - Click here
Pack 2 - Click here
Pack 3 - Click here
Pack 4 - Click here
Pack 5 - Click here
Pack 6 - Click here
Pack 7 - Click here
Take Away Menu - Click here
Oxford Owl - free books
Purple Mash - children will be given their login details
Y4 vs Y5 TT Rockstar battle!
Congratulations to Year 4 in winning yet another Times Table Rockstar competition against Year 5, just before the Easter holidays – what a lot of budding rock stars we have!
Government "My Activity Passport" - Activities for children
Phonics Play - free access
Miss. Van den Daele + Mrs. Graham
Mrs. Early Mrs. Coutts
Documents - please click to open
Don’t forget to read at least 3 times to an adult this week and ask them to sign your reading record.
The spellings you are learning should be highlighted in school each week.
Learn your spellings every night. At the end of the week, you should have four columns of the spellings you’re learning in your homework book.
Times Table Rock Stars - https://play.ttrockstars.com/
Homework books and Reading Record books must be handed in every Monday please.
- Reading Questions
- Grammar Passport
- Spelling Passport
- Spellings Term 1
- Spellings Term 2
- Spellings Term 3
- Spellings Term 4
- Spellings Term 5
- Spellings Term 6
All upcoming events are currently cancelled – including the Multiplication Times Tables Check. As soon as we know more, we will let you know.
- Class 13 has indoor PE on Monday mornings and outdoor PE on Thursday afternoons.
- Class 14 has indoor PE on Wednesday mornings and outdoor PE on Thursday afternoons.
- Class 15 has indoor PE on Monday mornings and outdoor PE on Thursday afternoons.
Please ensure your child has a PE kit at school every day.
As part of our topic work this term on the Ancient Maya and South America, we enjoyed a special visit from Jonathan’s Jungle Roadshow. Jonathan introduced us to many creatures which live in the different layers of the Amazon Rainforest. The children really enjoyed the opportunity to meet and appreciate first-hand a selection of awesome reptiles and invertebrates. Enjoy our photo gallery to see which amazing creatures visited our classrooms…
Year 4 kick-started the year with an unexpected visitor… an Anglo-Saxon warrior! After sharing many tales of battle, he asked us to join him in a shield and spear workshop. The children mastered the art of spear-throwing and shield-charging. We also looked at many Anglo-Saxon treasures, including jewellery, clothing, musical instruments and even armour. Find out more about our epic adventure in the photos below…
Year 4 Multiplication Tables Check
You may have heard about the government’s new Multiplication Tables Check which has been introduced for Year 4 children. This is an online assessment which takes place in June 2020.
What do you need to know about the Multiplication Tables Check at Haydonleigh?
1. We love maths - it’s an awesome subject to learn and to teach!
2. Maths is a big subject and we appreciate there’s more to it than times tables and there’s more to times tables than learning them off by heart. However, a lot of the rich, interesting maths is all about number relationships and these are hard to fully grasp without fluent recall of the tables. For that reason, learning the times tables is fundamental – they are a key facilitator in maths - we’ve always believed this.
3. We’re not worried about the checks and they’re not a surprise to Haydonleigh teachers. We’re already in a good place with learning the tables and the expectations are in line with the National Curriculum, so it’s business as usual for us!
4. The checks become compulsory in June 2020. They will be done within a three-week-long window starting on 8th June.
5. The results of the check are not published publicly, there’s no pass or fail, there’s just a score out of 25 marks. Your child’s score will be reported to you later in the year.
6. The checks consist of 25 questions. The questions will only be multiplication and they will go up to 12×12. There’s nothing novel about the questions and they don’t require any problem solving.
7. The checks are all about remembering the multiplication facts. That doesn’t mean we’ll forget all about the concepts, patterns, structures and relationships in multiplication. We’re going to be learning those too, partly because they go hand in hand with excellent recall.
8. There are concerns shared in the public domain that this is “yet another test”. The government has been careful to call it a “check” and that’s what it is, a pit-stop check. The check will tell us which multiplication facts the children are not yet secure with, so we can address these in school.
9. The questions are relatively simple, age appropriate, and the test only takes 2½ minutes.
10. We don’t wish the checks to be stressful for our pupils. For that reason, we will actively downplay the checks in school and won’t repeatedly refer to the checks in class. Please be supportive and refrain from referring too often to the checks at home too.
11. As far as our pupils are concerned, when it comes to the day itself, they’re going to have the computers or tablets to rehearse their times tables. This is something we often do, especially with Times Table Rock Stars, so the children will notice little difference on the day.
12. Your child will have had opportunities to practise using the software in school, so will be familiar with the format before the check itself.
13. If you are practising with your child, remember you’re practising for the benefit of their wider maths education, not for them to get a high score on a test.
14. Please be supportive of our approach -it’s important that we get behind the checks for the benefit of all our children.
How can you further support your child?
At the upcoming Parent’s Evenings, there will be laptops available running a Times Table Rock Star programme, similar to the check itself. Your child will be familiar with the format so may share a game or two with you. Please feel free to have a go! This will give you the opportunity to gain an understanding of the check’s format. The software used on the checks themselves will only become available to schools in late March. Please be aware that the software is only available daily to schools until 4pm, hence the short session. We are unable to extend the lifetime of the daily passwords we’ll be given to access the check materials
Please do encourage your child to play Times Tables Rock Stars at home. All children have been given a username and password for this excellent website. The ‘Soundcheck’ option in the game is a great place to practise for the check. We love to celebrate the effort children put in to further improve their maths, at school and at home, especially those who find their times tables tricky. This demonstrates a great growth mindset and builds their overall confidence in maths.
If you do wish to practise with your child at home, you’ll find further suggested activities on the Year 4 webpage, under the ‘links’ section. Even fun activities such as playing board/ card games, baking and shopping will help your child’s confidence in maths grow.
Should you have any questions about the Multiplication Tables Check, please see your child’s class teacher.
Links -Please click to open
- Purple Mash
- KENKEN PUZZLES - use your logic to solve these problems
- FOOTBALL ADDITION
- MATHS PLAYGROUND - multiplication and division games
- WOODLANDS - Mental Maths
- TEACHINGTABLES - times tables
- MATHS-GAMES.ORG - times table games
- CRICKWEB - times tables
- ECHALK - times tables
- WHAT2LEARN - times tables
- Factors games
- BOWLING MULTIPLICATION