I am talented, together we are amazing!
The National Curriculum statutory requirements for each year group are outlined on our curriculum maps. We use statutory guidance for planning our school curriculum. For the link to the Statutory National Curriculum, please click here.
OUR CURRICULUM ORGANISATION
Our curriculum maps give you an overview of what is taught over the year at Haydonleigh:
To find out more about our curriculum and to view our knowledge organisers, please select the subject/s using the drop down menu on the right of this page.
The Haydonleigh curriculum empowers all pupils to acquire, remember and apply a wide curriculum knowledge. We aim to develop a life-long love of learning and enable all pupils to appreciate what is awesome and wonderful in the world.
Each year builds on previous learning with a clear progression in all subject areas, helping children to learn successfully and master both skills and knowledge in different disciplines.
Based on solid pedagogical principles, we deliver a well-taught curriculum where pupils are able to apply and remember more. Our curriculum details exactly what pupils will learn at different points in each subject. Our curriculum prepares pupils as global citizens, equipped with the cultural capital to succeed in their next steps and later life.
OUR CURRICULUM DRIVERS
At Haydonleigh Primary School, our curriculum delivery upholds the Haydonleigh drivers: Communication, Ambition and Resilience.
Communication – will enable children to demonstrate fluency in oracy, enabling them to participate in dialogue and debate. At Haydonleigh, speaking, writing and listening skills are recognised as the building blocks for the curriculum. Children will leave Haydonleigh with the ability to share their ideas and thoughts.
Ambition – will enable children to be inquisitive and aspirational, allowing them to make connections between experiences, ideas and achievements. At Haydonleigh, children strive to be the best during their time here and have high aspirations beyond school. Children will leave Haydonleigh with the motivation to reach their potential and achieve their dreams.
Resilience – will develop children who are flexible, try out ideas and build schema of increasing complexity in readiness for future success. At Haydonleigh, children develop metacognitive skills to overcome problems, learn from their mistakes, think for themselves and embrace challenges. Children will leave Haydonleigh as independent and well-rounded pupils, with the courage to navigate life.
- Meet the needs of our pupils with communication, ambition and resilience at the core of learning
- Deliver a progressive, precise and carefully sequenced curriculum
- Ensure all children gain purposeful, powerful and transferable knowledge
- Enable all children to build their knowledge and skills towards agreed end points
- Encourage all children to ask questions, take risks, be reflective, open-minded and creative thinkers
- Fulfil the promise and potential of the national curriculum… and beyond
- Empower all pupils to articulate what they have learnt and why
- Promote a culture which inspires all children to learn across the curriculum
- Provide memorable learning experiences so all children can apply and remember more
- Ensure expert Subject Leaders promote aspirations, progress and mastery across the school
- Organise a curriculum that engages all learners to access all subjects
- Follow a detailed curriculum map to ensure coverage, breadth and depth of learning
- Structure and sequence the knowledge and understanding gained at each stage
- Plan a framework with frequent repetition to improve retention and build fluency
- Ensure key concepts are embedded in pupil’s long-term memory and are applied fluently
- Identify and deliver the key substantive and disciplinary knowledge in each subject
- Check pupil’s understanding effectively to identify and correct misconceptions
- Prioritise pupil’s personal development through their attitudes and behaviours towards learning
- Review knowledge, skills and understanding against year group expectations and end points
- Assess pupil’s knowledge and skills, identifying gaps and reteaching where required
- Ensure pupils apply prior learning and skills, whilst making connections to new areas of learning
- Assure feedback is used effectively to accelerate learning
- Verify pupils know more, remember more and are able to do more
- Regularly review the quality, consistency and impact of the curriculum against intended outcomes
- Inspire pupils to acquire the cultural capital they need in life
Our motto: I am talented, together we are amazing.
Every opportunity is given to ensure our school values of Creativity, Respect, Responsibility, Enthusiasm and Unity are at the heart of learning. These values also support the teaching of British Values and SMSC (spiritual, moral, social and cultural education).
We ensure this happens by providing a safe, happy and caring environment where children have every opportunity to access the substance of education: the curriculum.
Our school is committed to working in partnership. Therefore, our values were chosen in consultation with pupils, parents and staff, as part of the Haydonleigh Vision project. We communicate our shared commitments through our school values:
Respect – Members of the Haydonleigh community will be welcoming and approachable, with mutually high expectations. We will nurture open communication and problem-solve together. We will be good role models.
Responsibility – Members of the Haydonleigh community will be accountable for maintaining high expectations. We will endeavour to make good choices and learn from our mistakes. We will demonstrate resilience and strive to do our best.
Enthusiasm – Members of the Haydonleigh community will choose a positive attitude and inspire others. We will foster ambition and embrace new opportunities.
Unity - Members of the Haydonleigh community will communicate effectively and promote the school’s expectations. We will celebrate the school’s values and work in partnership to achieve success.
Creativity - Members of the Haydonleigh community will be open-minded and show resilience when considering different approaches. We will encourage innovation and celebrate individual achievement.