I am talented... together we are amazing! I am talented... together we are amazing! I am talented... together we are amazing!
WELCOME TO YEAR 6!
Class 19 Class 20 Class 21
Mrs Rochester Miss Walters Miss Bragg
Class 19 - Miss Fusco
Class 20 - Mrs Titcombe
Class 21 - Mrs Greenfield
Additional Teaching Assistant:
If your child has different spellings to the 2 documents above and you need a copy, please ask your child's class teacher.
Week commencing 14.12.20 and Christmas holidays:
Reading - email your class teacher with a picture of your reading record by Sunday 3rd January, including comments (see below), to show that you have read 15 times across the 3 weeks.
TT Rockstars - log in and play TT Rockstars at least 5 times for a minimum of 10 minutes across the 3 weeks to contribute to the Year 6 battle. Your class teacher will be checking to see who has logged in.
If there are any problems accessing the homework, please see the class teacher before Friday.
Weekly spellings start on a Monday and children will be tested on the following Monday. Reading tasks will be set via Purple Mash on a Monday and will be due in on the following Monday. As well as this, we expect children to be reading for pleasure at least 5 times at home. Please can parents/carers ensure that they are recording this in their reading record, including comments such as:
- a summary of the section they have read (the 5 Ws)
- prediction for the next chapter
- how they think a character is feeling and why
- favourite part and why
- 5 interesting/powerful words on a page
It is imperative in Year 6 that children are reading regularly in preparation for their SATS examinations and secondary school. In addition, all Year 6 children are expected to practise their times tables at home, either in their homework books or on Times Table Rockstars.
During Term 2, PE will take place on a Monday afternoon. Please ensure that children come to school wearing trainers and their normal school uniform. No PE kit is required until further notice. Thank you!
- Grammar terminology
- Word class information
- Reading question prompts
- Useful revision websites
- Parents’ guide to the Year 6 curriculum
- Year 6 Homework Guidance
- Suggested Reading for Pleasure Book List
- Year 6 Calculation Policy.pdf
- Reading at Home Bookmarks
- Times Table Grid
- Year 6 KS2 Parents SATs Guide
- What a good reading comment looks like.
- Year 6 SPaG Mats.
- 17th November - Flu vaccinations
- Week commencing 26th April - PGL (Torquay)
- Week commencing 10th May - SATs Week
- If your child has anything they wish to discuss, please encourage them to approach their teacher first. In Year 6 we strive to achieve greater independence in preparation for Secondary School.
- We operate an open-door policy and welcome parents and guardians to approach and make an appointment to discuss any concerns with their child’s teacher.
Many thanks for your support in this busy academic year.
What we've been up to
Alongside our WWII topic, the children created some beautiful war-themed poetry on remembrance day. One poem per class was selected to be produced into a video and be published onto our website. Well done Abi Park, Molly Dorey and Mali Coogan for creating these masterpieces!
After learning about the Coventry Blitz, the children paired up to write a news report as if they were reporting from Coventry on 15th November 1940. We loved listening to them working together and giving each other tips on how to perform their work with more expression.
Below are three examples of the work they produced - well done Year 6!