Welcome to the Year 6 page
Miss Van den Daele/Mrs Kirk Mrs Codling
Class 19 Class 20
Parents Curriculum Evening - Tuesday 14 November
Click here to see the presentation notes
Please click on the following link for information on KS2 Sats
Year 6 enjoyed participating in a special workshop earlier this week (w/c 11 September 2017) , exploring the themes of peace and conflict. We were so impressed with the pupil’s behaviour and fabulous suggestions during the event, which aimed to promote peace and unity. Read more about this exciting project in the Swindon Advertiser article:
- Year 6 National Curriculum Overview Jigsaw
- Grammar terminology
- Word class information
- Reading question prompts
- Calculation policy
- Useful revision websites
- Parents’ guide to the Year 6 curriculum
- Year 6 Homework Guidance
- KIRFs - Maths
- Year 6 Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for reading, writing and maths
- Suggested Reading for Pleasure Book List
- Reading at Home Bookmarks
- Times Table Grid
- Statutory Assessment Guidance for Parents
- Spellings for Term 2
- Year 6 KS2 Parents SATs Guide
- Mental Maths Homework Note
- KS2 SATs results guide for parents
- Topic Web
Tues 14th Nov – Curriculum Evening
Weds 15th Nov – NSPCC visitors
Weds 23rd Nov – NSPCC Year 6 workshops
Fri 24th Nov – Visit Haydon Artists Society and PTA Non-uniform day
Tues 5th Dec – Wiltshire Fire Service visit
Tues 12th Dec – KS2 Christmas dinner
Weds 13th Dec – Victorian Dress-Up Day
Tues 2nd Jan – TD Day
Tues 13th March – Parents Evening
Thurs 15th March – Parents Evening
Tues 27th March – Year 6 SATs meeting for parents
Mon 14th May – Thursday 17th May – YEAR 6 SATs EXAM WEEK
Fri 18th May – Year 6 Reward Day
Mon 25th June – TD Day
Weds 4th July and Thurs 5th July - Secondary School transition days (to be communicated and confirmed by secondary schools)
Year 6 Meeting Presentation (Please click to open)
Year 6 Homework
Children need to practise their set spellings every evening at home in their home spelling book. There are lots of spelling strategies suggested in this book to refer to.
We’ve had some stonking homework handed in this term. We’ll keep adding lovely examples throughout the year! Please find below a link to the full homework menu, should you wish to have another look.
- Homework is handed out on Monday and collected back in on the following Monday.
- We expect every child in Year 6 to read for at least 15 minutes at home every school night. We also expect children to record this in their reading record. It is imperative in Year 6 that children are reading regularly in preparation for their SATS examinations and Secondary school.
- All Year 6 children are expected to practise the times tables they are currently learning at home. Evidence of this in their homework book, when possible, would be much appreciated!
- Year 6 children must practise their weekly spellings in their home spelling book five times per week.
- In addition to the above, Year 6 children will be set a piece of separate English and Maths homework each week. Their projects will vary and will come with individual guidance. The general rule of thumb is that each piece of homework should take a minimum of 20 minutes.
- If your child has anything they wish to discuss, please encourage them to approach their teacher first. In Year 6 we strive to achieve greater independence in preparation for Secondary School. We operate an open-door policy and welcome parents and guardians to approach and discuss any concerns with their child’s teacher. Many thanks for your support in this busy academic year.
Links to other sites
Certain links, including hypertext links, in Our Site will take you outside of our site. Links are provided for your convenience and inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement or approval by us of the linked site, its operator or its content. We are not responsible for the content of any website outside our Site.