Sports Premium Grant
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding of £150 million for physical education (PE) and sport. This funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision.
Funding will be allocated to all maintained and state-funded schools with primary phase pupils, including: primary, middle, special and non-maintained special schools, academies and pupil referral units from 1 September 2013.
Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of.
Funding for schools will be calculated by reference to the number of primary-aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11), as recorded in the annual schools census in January 2016.
Impact of Sport Premium for academic year 2015/2016
Some of the funding was used to release the PE Coordinator to:
- Organise and provide CPD as a result of staff audits
- Organise competition (intra house, inter school and Sainsbury’s School Games)
- Carry out pupil voice to assess pupils’ attitudes towards PE
- Work closely with local specialists to further enhance teaching practise
- Provide further opportunities for vulnerable groups
- Introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
As a result of the funding, we were able to: -
- Enter and compete in more Sainsbury's School Games competitions than previous years (inter school competition)
- Provide opportunities for children in KS1 to compete against other school (inter school competition)
- Maintain the number of children participating in high quality PE before and after school whilst reducing the amount of funding allocated. This is important for Haydonleigh in ensuring sustainability post the 'Sport Premium' funding.
In the academic year 2016/2017, we have been allocated £10,195. Haydonleigh : -
- Are continuing to commit a large proportion of the funding into CPD as it is essential we create a sustainable model in preparation for post 'Sport Premium' funding era. This will involve bringing in PE specialists to work alongside teachers to improve their teaching and improving our current provision of PE in areas identified.
In addition to this, we:
- Will continue to commit to providing opportunities of high quality PE after school for all children.
- Will continue to commit to providing opportunities to further develop through inter school competition
- Will provide opportunities to experience new sports through a focussed PE days/ week
For a Full breakdown of how we will spend the money for academic year 2016-2017 please click here