Sports Premium Grant
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding for physical education (PE) and sport. From September 2013 - July 2017, schools with 17 or more eligible pupils received £8,000 and an additional payment of £5 per pupil. In 2017, the level of funding changed. Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils will receive £16,000 and an additional payment of £10 per pupil.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
In most cases, funding for schools will be calculated by reference to the number of primary-aged pupils (between years 1 to 6), as recorded in the annual schools census in January 2017.
Impact of Sport Premium for academic year 2016/2017
Some of the funding was used to release the PE Coordinator to:
- Organise and provide CPD as a result of staff audits
- Organise competition (intra house, inter school and Sainsbury’s School Games)
- Carry out pupil voice to assess pupils’ attitudes towards PE
- Work closely with local specialists to further enhance teaching practise
- Provide further opportunities for vulnerable groups
- Introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
As a result of the funding, we were able to: -
- Enter and compete in more Sainsbury's School Games competitions than previous years (inter school competition) and therefore increase the percentage of children (270 %) competing in level 2 competition.
- Provide opportunities for children in KS1 to compete against other school (inter school competition)
- Maintain the number of children participating in high quality PE (53 %) before and after school whilst reducing the amount of funding allocated. This is important for Haydonleigh in ensuring sustainability post the 'Sport Premium' funding.
- Increase the number of children cycling to school
In the academic year 2017/2018, we have been allocated £20,540. Haydonleigh :
- Are continuing to commit a large proportion of the funding into CPD as it is essential we create a sustainable model in preparation for post 'Sport Premium' funding era. This will involve bringing in PE specialists to work alongside teachers to improve their teaching and improving our current provision of PE in areas identified.
In addition to this, we:
- Will continue to commit to providing opportunities of high quality PE before and after school for all children.
- Will continue to commit to providing opportunities to further develop through inter school competition
- Will provide opportunities to experience new sports through focused PE days / week
For a Full breakdown of how we will spend the money for academic year 2017-2018 please click here.